Some days we just feel off energetically. Maybe it’s a sluggishness and we just can’t get motivated to do whatever needs to be done. Maybe our mind is whirling around in so many directions we can’t focus enough to do whatever needs to be done. If we have the opportunity to take a walk, it can do wonders to clear our mind and motivate our spirit. Think about how awesome you feel after a walk. But what if you don’t have the option of going outside? What to do?
When we use our breath consciously, it has an profound effect on the body and mind. The best part about the breath is that it is always with us and we can be in total control of it when we choose.
I learned this breath technique from my amazing acupuncturist Cheryl. It balances the Yin and Yang energies of the body. The bottom half of your body is Yin because it is closer to the earth and the top half of your body is Yang because it is closer to the sky. If you’re feeling listless, your Yin energy is in excess and isn’t allowing the Yang energy to provide the action. The reverse is true if you feel like your mind is going crazy and you can’t be still. Too much Yang and not enough grounding. This breathing exercise will gather up both energies and mix them together so that we feel balanced with a clear and calm mind. It can be practiced whenever you feel you need it.
- Stand with your feet a comfortable distance apart, knees slightly bent. Arms by your side, palms facing in. Feel your feet connected to the earth. Feel the crown of your head reaching towards the sky. (You can also sit in a chair with your feet on the floor.)
- While inhaling to half of your capacity, lift your arms to shoulder height.
- Continuing the inhale, turn the palms up and raise the arms overhead, hands may touch.
- Exhale slowly, lowering your arms down to your sides.
- Repeat for at least 10 breaths.
- When you are finished, allow your breath to return to its normal rhythm, close your eyes and notice.
- Carry on with your day.
*This breath is like a beacon for animals. If you have a pet, don’t be surprised if they seek you out and come lay near you, absorbing all the beautifully balanced energy you are creating.